Hi, kids! Here are some things you have to remember before cooking, baking, or preparing food:
- Put on an apron so your clothes won't get dirty.
- Check that you have all the ingredients before you start!
- Ask a grown-up to help you.
- Wash your hands before you begin cooking!
How to Measure:
- Using teaspoons, level off the top with your finger like this:
not like this:
- To measure liquids like milk, water or cooking oil, fill the measuring cup then check at eye level
- For dry ingredients like sugar or flour, also make sure it is level in the cup.Don't pack ingredients down, except for brown sugar! Shake gently to even ingredients out. Don't tap the measuring cup down on the counter this makes the ingredients settle!
Some Cooking Terms:
- To cut in butter means to break it into small pieces with 2 table knives or your fingers so that it becomes evenly distributed in the flour.
- To knead means to make the dough smooth by folding it over and pushing it out with your hands on a counter. You may have to do this several times.
[ back to top ]